The Kipness Law Firm, P.C


Q: Why hire an attorney to handle a traffic ticket?

A: A traffic ticket attorney can keep tickets off your driving record or reduce the amount of money owed to the Court.  By keeping tickets off your driving record, your auto insurance premiums will not increase and the Texas DPS will not charge your more money to renew your driver’s license.

Q: Can you help me with a ticket if I missed my court date or the ticket is in warrant status?

A: Possibly.  Depending on the type of warrant, a traffic ticket attorney may be able to file a bond to lift the warrant status of the ticket.

Q: Can you help me with a ticket that I received many years ago?

A: Possibly.  It depends on the type of warrant issued by the Court.

Q: Why will the Texas DPS not allow me to renew my driver’s license and what is an “OMNI” fee?

A: Most traffic courts use the Texas DPS OmniBase program.  If the traffic ticket court reports you did not appear for a traffic ticket, a hold will be placed on your driver’s license until you pay a $30.00 Omni fee and resolve your ticket.

Q: Can my driver’s license be suspended from too many tickets?

A: Possibly.  The State of Texas can suspend your driver’s license for too many tickets or because of your failure to address any outstanding tickets.

Q: What are your fees for traffic tickets?

A: $75 per violation and $100 per violation if ticket is in warrant status or you missed your appearance date. A traffic ticket can have more than one violation, such as a ticket for speeding and no insurance.

Q: Can you guarantee my traffic ticket will be dismissed?

A: No.  Each case is different.  We will attempt to get the best results, which can range from dismissal to deferred adjudication.

Q: What types of citations can I receive on a traffic ticket?

A: Speeding, school zone speeding, work zone speeding, no insurance, no driver’s license, expired registration/inspection, no seat belt, no child in car seat, running a red light, running a stop sign, illegal turn, driving with suspended driver’s license.

Q: Can you help me if I received a ticket while driving with a suspended license or no license?

A: Possibly.  However, a court will usually require you to get a valid driver’s license.

Q: What happens if I miss my court date?

A: A warrant can be issued for your arrested. You may also be given additional charges such as a failure to appear (FTA).  You should contact a traffic ticket attorney.

Q: What happens if I just plead guilty and pay the ticket?

A: A guilty conviction could increase your insurance premiums and could add “points” to your record.  Points can require you to pay surcharges and fees.  Payment of these surcharges and fees are necessary to renew your driver’s license.

Q: What are moving violation “points”?

A: The Texas DPS assigns “points” to a driving record for moving violation convictions.  Examples of moving violations that can result in points are:  moving violations arising from an accident, child safety seat violation, and speeding more than 10% over the limit.  

Q: How do “points” affect my driving record?

A: If you accumulate 6 points on your driving record during a three year period, a surcharge will be assessed.  The driver is required to pay a $100 surcharge for the first six points and $25 for each additional point.  Convictions for no insurance; suspended driver’s license; or no driver’s license carry annual surcharges ranging from $100 to $250.

Q: How do I know if I have surcharges?

A: Call the Dallas DPS at (214) 861-2125 or Austin DPS at (512) 424-2000.

Q: What happens if there are warrants for old and unpaid traffic tickets?

A: There may be warrants issued for your arrest, additional charges brought against you.  Also, there may be fees and surcharges assessed against you.

Q: How do I know if there are warrants for old and unpaid traffic tickets?

A: You can call (800) 686-0570.  You will need your date of birth and driver’s license number.  You may also call the Court where your traffic ticket is.

Q: Will I have to go to Court if I retain a traffic ticket attorney?

A: It depends on the Court.  Every traffic ticket court has different rules and regulations.  You should contact a traffic ticket attorney if you have any questions about your traffic ticket.

Q: Is a traffic ticket a criminal proceeding?

A: Yes.  In Texas, it is considered a Class C misdemeanor.  Punishment can be up to a $500 fine.  There is no confinement to a jail.

Q: Can I go to jail for a traffic ticket?

A: If you do not attend a court date, a warrant may be issued for your arrest.  The warrant is referred to as an alias warrant.  If you are pulled over and have a warrant, you may be taken to jail.  However, punishment for a traffic ticket conviction cannot result in a jail sentence.

Q: If I received a ticket and lost it, can you help me?

A: Possibly if you know what police department issued the ticket or what court your ticket is in.

Q: Is every traffic ticket court the same?

A: No.  Every traffic ticket court has different rules and regulations.  You should contact a traffic ticket attorney if you have any questions about your traffic ticket.

Q: What is deferred adjudication?

A: Deferred adjudication is a type of probation that may be given in traffic court. Typically, you are required to pay some money on the ticket and agree not to get another ticket for a certain period of time, which cannot be more than 180 days from your court date.

Q: If I hire a traffic ticket attorney, will I have to take defensive driving?

A: Most likely not unless you are under 25 years of age.

Q: Can I take defensive driving rather than hiring a traffic ticket attorney?

A: It depends.  You will need to ask the Court if you can take defensive driving. Usually, you can only take defensive driving once a year. In making your decision, you should compare the costs of taking defensive driving vs. hiring a traffic ticket attorney. It may be wise to save your defensive driving in case you get another ticket.

Bookmark and Share