The Kipness Law Firm, P.C


Q: Where can child injury occur?

A: Child injuries can occur at school, foster homes, daycare, camps, playgrounds, medical malpractice, auto accidents, truck accidents, pedestrian accidents, bicycle accidents, dog bites, defective hot water heaters, unfenced pools, unsafe toys, unsafe child products, unlocked guns, car seat failures, abusive adults, and negligent caretakers.

Q: What types of injuries can a child sustain?

A: Children can sustain injuries such as:

Q: What should I look for in selecting a daycare for my child?

A: You should view the daycare to:

Q: What if my child is injured at daycare?

A: If necessary get immediate medical attention for your child, report the accident to the appropriate government authority and police, request an accident report be filled out, take pictures of your child’s injuries, and get the names of any witnesses. You may also need to speak with a daycare injury attorney.  You should also get a copy of the 911 call.

Q: What type of compensation can my child recover from a child abuse or injury case?

A: On behalf of your child, you can recover medical bills, future medical care expenses, and compensation for pain, mental anguish, disfigurement, and impairment. Some of these damages may be placed in a trust or court registry for the benefit of your child when he or she reaches 18.

Q: What types of injuries can occur at daycare?

A: Injuries can include burns, poisoning, physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, and physical injuries from playground equipment or dangerous toys.

Q: What is shaken baby syndrome?

A: Shaken baby syndrome is a form of child abuse resulting in brain damage from the shaking or throwing of a baby against an object or shaking a baby by its arms, legs, or shoulders.

Q: Why does shaken baby syndrome occur?

A: Shaken baby syndrome occurs because of excessive crying, fussiness and stress and anger on part of the parent or caretaker.

Q: What are symptoms of shaken baby syndrome and how is it treated?

A: Symptoms can include trouble breathing, vomiting, loss of consciousness, seizures, eye bleeding.  Shaken baby syndrome is treated with oxygen therapy to help with breathing, physical therapy, medications to reduce brain swelling and if necessary brain surgery.

Q: What are the long term affects of shaken baby syndrome?

A: Long term affects can include seizures, loss of vision, physical and emotional growth delays, behavior problems, learning problems, mental retardation, and decreased body movement.

Q: How do I know if a child has been abused?

A: Abused children may have lacerations, excessive bruising, broken bones, and fractures that result from being left alone or result from physical movements that are inappropriate for this age.  Children may also stutter, appear nervous, and exhibit eating disorders.

Q: What societal factors can lead to child abuse?

A: Poverty, lack of social services, adult mental health problems, unwanted pregnancy, unemployment, and drug/alcohol addiction can lead to child abuse.

Q: What are the long terms affects of child abuse?

A: Long term affects can include obesity, violent tendencies, depression, suicide, low self esteem, substance abuse, teen pregnancy, and poor academic performance.

Q: What should I do if I suspect a child is being abused?

A: You should report child abuse to the police and appropriate government agency.

Q: If a child is involved in an accident or abused, should I talk to an insurance company or sign any insurance company documents?

A: No.  You should not sign anything or speak to an insurance company before speaking to an attorney because insurance companies do not have the child’s best interest at heart.  They are only concerned about defending your claim and making money by not paying claims or paying low values on claims.

Q: If a child dies from abuse or an accident, can a claim still be pursued?

A: Yes, under a wrongful death statute a claim can be pursued by the parents or other adult representative appointed by the Court.

Q: Why bring a wrongful death claim for a deceased child?

A: Bringing a wrongful child death claim will compensate the family for the loss of their child and force a wrongdoer to accept responsibility for a child’s death and hopefully prevent any future child deaths.

Bookmark and Share